Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Our Metaphor

The metaphors twist and turn around us

They spin us about like a carousel of doom

Take us from the moon and to the burning dregs of hell.

And inside this metaphor the two of us fell.

We zoomed past the sunflowers, birds and trees.

Too fast for us to truly see.

The way things were, or how they happened.

We landed in the thorns of the black rose.

They prick deep yet we silently scream

Each lost in his own quiet misery.

So much left to say but it was lost in a metaphor.

Of you and me and the forests and battles.

Maybe it was a mistake, for it wasn’t a race.

Who was meant to sprint a matter such as this

For in a marathon lies the true test.

Of endurance, spirit and also love.

it was the lamp of my twilight,

it was the light of my winter

and you stopped my autumn from coming that much sooner

but my pain was mine alone and my consequences,

just mine to bear.

It means the sky to me and the oceans too.

It was joy and so much more.

But fate didn’t leave us alone.

It knew what it wanted ... but it wouldn’t borrow.

Fate takes and never returns.

Its up to us to wait, and to watch.

For it could hold the perfection that was never ours.

And with my poetic license I bequeath,

A hope and a will, but not a promise.

Of a future of possibility or even more.

To make our circle a perfect sphere.

But there’s so much left unsaid, shrouded

In a metaphor of time and space..

In a forest of prickly thorns,

In your vines of a crooked fate

And maybe you’ll find the answer.

In these metaphors of mine.

I trace a line for you to follow

Maybe then the sun will brighten your canopy

And you won’t feel so hollow.

- 2007

No comments: